Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That's because we're always finding new ways to interact with fans - however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.We Are...
Our content is used across multiple platforms -- television, digital media, radio, ESPN The Magazine, and ESPN Mobile. The Stats & Information Group's focal point - besides supplying all statistical information for pro and college sports - is to provide perspective and context around games, key sporting events and breaking news.
Responsibilities A Day in the Life:
Do you have a passion for sports AND statistics? Do you love curling up at night with your textbooks, while keeping one eye on the statistical trends developing in the baseball or basketball game on TV?
Have you noticed the "Next Level" content on ESPN and ESPN.com or follow Stats & Information on twitter? Are you the kind of fan who has filled spreadsheets with stats or wondered if there were databases where you can search and sort for the data that enriches your fan experience? Do you search for patterns, trends and insights in data - in an effort to either quantify performance or predict future outcomes for players and teams?
You may work in one or a combination of the 3 primary areas within our Group: SIG Content, Stats & Analysis, and Sports Analytics.
- Content: research original content for use on digital media and show support, including graphics for TV, anchor lead-ins and original pieces; provide live updates to talent in studio. Determine proper treatment of games & news stories on BottomLine by writing effective news headlines and ensuring 100 percent accuracy
- Stats & Analysis: manage and analyze real-time scoring and play-by-play data that powers every ESPN platform, and generate insightful content through the use of video-tracking and vast statistical warehouses
- Sports Analytics: create and evaluate sports metrics, formulate algorithms and ensure integration of that content across all platforms.
Basic Qualifications What You Bring to the Role:
- Passion for sports and statistics including expert-level knowledge of players, teams and analytic metrics
- Strong news/content awareness and judgment
- Thrive in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment with a meticulous attention to detail in striving for 100 percent accuracy.
- Professional experience working with statistics in a digital, television, print-media or sports information environment
- Experience developing sports content and storylines with a TV station, radio station, newspaper or notable sports blog
- Experience in the Public Relations or Marketing Department of a college, minor league or professional sports team
- Work on an academic project focused on sports journalism, sports business or sports statistics
- Experience using social media in a business or news environment
- Ability to read and write in Spanish
- Enrolled as a junior, senior or graduate student in an accredited college/university in the semester prior to the internship
Additional Information Internship Eligibility:
- Must be enrolled in a college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
The length of this internship is 10 weeks, and the approximate dates are June 11 - August 17, 2017. Interns will work 40 hours per week and must be fully available throughout the internship including nights (almost exclusively), weekends and holidays. Housing:
This internship is based in Bristol, CT. A limited amount of housing assistance may be available for those who qualify. Transportation:
Must provide own transportation to/from work.
ESPN is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.