Enterprise Software Development Intern-Spring 2018 / Sports Media
We have created a new Consumer Data Platforms group within ESPN technology with the skills, drive, and passion to innovate, create, and succeed. Our passion isn't focused on charts and graphs, we are here to disrupt and start a cultural revolution that can lead a data revolution. The internet-scale platforms that you build will be core assets in the delivering the highest quality sports content to over 100M fans monthly. This is an opportunity to fundamentally evolve how ESPN delivers content and monetizes our audiences.
We need a passionate software engineer to join our Data Engineering team. We are looking for a creative and talented developer who loves java and big data to help us integrate both structured and unstructured data throughout our new cloud-based data platform. Specifically, we are looking for a software engineer who will join our team to focus on data movement and integration by building data pipelines, using integration technologies and methods (ETL/ELT), and writing software to collect data from endpoints such as RESTful APIs and serve data to virtualization layers.
- Be a data conductor - Design, implement, and improve data pipelines throughout our data platform from data ingestion through the endpoints used to make data actionable
- Build Capabilities - Develop a sense of the business problems that we are trying to solve for and build capabilities that scale and drive real impact.
- Help design the big picture - Actively participate in continually improving our data schemas, models, maps, and linkages so we can harness the collective power of our 40+ datasets
- Harness curiosity - Change how we think, act, and utilize our data by performing exploratory and quantitative analytics, data profiling, investigative mining, and discovery
- Act as a Knight of Data Quality - Aggressively drive the design and implementation of tools and technologies to master and clean data to ensure we're not snared by bad or missing data
- Grow with us - Help us stay ahead of the curve by working closely with data management team, data engineers, data architects, our DevOps team, and analysts to design systems which can scale overnight in ways which make other groups jealous
- First-hand experience - educational experience focusing on software engineering using Java
- Problem solver - Enjoy new and meaningful technology or business challenges which require you to think and respond quickly
- Passion and creativity - Are passionate about data, technology, & creative innovation
- Team player - Enjoy working collaboratively with a talented group of people to tackle challenging business problems so we all succeed (or fail fast) as a team
- Affinity for sports.
- Proficiency with git.
- Have a data toolbox - Familiar with technologies relevant to the data and integration space including Hadoop, Redshift, Python, DI/DQ tools (like Talend), and MDM tools (such as Falcon)
- Experience with AWS, linode, Azure, Heroku, or OpenStack.
- Experience with Virtual Box, Docker, Etc.
- Experience with Apache Kafka, Spark, Hive, Hadoop.
- Proficiency with agile development methodologies.
- Proficiency with linux/unix based systems.
Required Education Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class, or be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months at time of application, or be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program Company Overview ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. Headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut, ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company), and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.
ESPN was founded by Bill Rasmussen and launched on September 7, 1979. Now with over 6,500 employees, each year ESPN televises more than 5,100 live and/or original hours of sports programming. The company's mission is to serve sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you'll have the opportunity to join a team that's beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you've been looking for.
ESPN, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all. Additional Information
- The approximate dates of this internship are January 2018 through May/June 2018
- Candidate must be available to work full time hours (approximately 40 hours per week) for the duration of the internship
- Able to provide own housing and transportation
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.2 accumulative
How To Apply For This Internship